Again Budapest is listed in a top 10 list by Lonely Planet, this time it is the list of Top 10 winter destinations in Europe. Budapest made it to the top 10 to be exactly it is place 6 behind winner Rovaniemi, Finland and the follow ups Christmas markets in Germany & Austria, Abisko in Sweden, Athens the capital of Greece and Copenhagen in Denmark. Left behind are destinations in Spain, Slovakia, Romania and Italy. Lets have a look at the argumentation why Budapest is placed in this list among the top destinations for a winter trip in Europe.
- “Couples skating hand-in-hand, breath cloudy in the frosty air – there’s nowhere better for it than the Hungarian capital’s picturesque central park Városligeti Műjégpálya” – the large ice rink located in the Budapest city park is a popular attraction during winter for hundreds of people who like ice skating.
- “Feeling chilly afterwards? Budapest is famous for its ornate thermal baths” – Yes, that’s right Budapest is famous for its natural springs and the thermal baths and one of them is located right behind the ice rink, the Széchenyi Bath.
- Third reason for the nomination is “At night seek out a ‘ruin pub’ – an atmospheric drinking venue artfully created in a once-abandoned building.” – The ruin pubs came up some years ago as a kind of underground movement which has become widely popular recently and you find most of them ruin pubs listed in most travel guides these days. but they are definitely very enjoyable also in winter times.
Now these are the 3 reasons Lonely Planet names pro Budapest as a winter travel destination. Let me put 3 more on top to completely convince you to book your weekend trip to Budapest even in winter time.
- There are whooping 220 museums and galleries in Budapest showing all the history and arts from Hungary. Most of them are indoor museums so you can visit them any time of the year and teach yourself some Hungarian history or enjoy great art.
- The Christmas Market at Vörösmarty square is the most famous in Hungary and very well frequented. In the list Lonely Planet mentions the Christmas Markets in Germany & Austria but let me tell you the Hungarians are nice as well and worth a visit for a cup of mulled wine and some Christmas gifts.
- To see famous Andrássy út at night with Christmas decoration is magical and will leave a lifetime impression on you. All the lights along the most beautiful avenue in Budapest are just giving this place a great flair. It is a must-see “attraction” you don’t want to miss.
These are just 3 further reasons for Budapest as a great winter destination but I have previously written a list of 10 reasons why you might want to jump on a plane and enjoy Budapest in the cold time of the year. Check it out here.